Car Rental Messina
- Free Things to do in Rome
- Rome Discount Cards
- Roma Pass vs Omnia Card
- Which rome Airport is Best To Fly
- Rome Attractions Tickets
- Rome Hop on Hop off Bus Reviews
- Roman Forum and Palatine Hill Tours
- Vatican Museums Tours
- Rome Art Galleries
- Rome Day Trips
- Things to Do in Rome at Night
- Rome to Florence Day Trips
- Best Colosseum Tours
- Best Rome Walking Tours
- Fun things to do in Rome
- Rome Attractions Map
Messina, located in the northeast of the island of Sicily, Italy, is the third largest city as well as the capital city of the Messina province. Messina was originally named Zancle, meaning ?scythe? owing to the shape of its harbor when it was founded by Greek colonists sometime in the 8th Century. It is believed that Messina was the harbor where the Black Death first entered Europe by ships arriving from Crimea.
Because Messina has such a rich long cultural history, there are a lot of amazing sights to see in this lovely coastal city such as:
- The Cathedral, built in the 12th century
- The Church of the Annunziata del Catalani
- Santa Maria degli Alemanni, built in the early 13th century this is one of the few examples of Gothic architecture that exists in Sicily
- Sanctuary of Montevergine, where the body of St. Eustochia Smeralda Calfato is preserved.
Frequenty when cruise ships come into port, they will dock right downtown, so don?t be surprised if when visiting some of Messina?s popular shops you stumble upon a large cruise liner.
It is highly encouraged to pay a visit to the Torre Faro, a former electricity pylon that is now an observation tower that provides a 200 metre high view over Messina and the Messina Strait that will take your breath away. Be warned: if you choose to visit Torre Faro to see this breathtaking view, you should be prepared to walk up 1250 steps, and then back down again. The view will be worth it.
If you are planning a holiday to Messina, be sure to check anycarhire.com for the best rates and availability for your car hire Messina. Car hire Messina is a great way to see all the amazing sites Messina has to offer, and will make getting around a very pleasant experience.