Best Sheffield Car Hire Companies
Sheffield is probably best known for the steel factories that used to dominate the city life, and which have now long closed, but there is far more to Sheffield than metal works. With two thriving football clubs, a number of National quality museums to visit, a bustling night life that is boosted by the university, and the fact that Sheffield lies at the gateway to some of the most attractive landscapes in England, and you have a destination that will always surprise and offers plenty of things to see and do on a short break.
Sheffield's peak came with the industrial revolution when it became the powerhouse of the metal industry. Sheffield Steel was renowned around the world, and this brought great wealth and prestige to the city. This wealth was invested in art and culture, and Sheffield's Victorian patrons built a number of large public buildings in order to cater to their work forces. The central gallery has a superb collection of landscape paintings of Yorkshire and the Pennines, and also a number of works by the likes of Landseer and the pre Raphaelites.
If you book car hire in car hire in Sheffield, you can leave the city behind and escape into the rolling countryside of South Yorkshire. This part of the UK was once an ancient sea, and it's prehistoric floor has developed into limestone that breaches the surface of the land throughout the region to create natural cliffs and potholes that attract climbers and spelunkers from all over the world.
Rural Yorkshire is a part of the UK where although technology has is present, the way of life is very much as it has been for hundreds of years. Villages are traditional and have long histories, with family names held in the church records, and many clans having lived in the same farm for centuries.
The area of Yorkshire around Sheffield was known for its coal mining, and this was one of the reasons why Sheffield was such an important industrial city for so long. The National mining museum is located in an old mine less than half an hour from the city centre, and is well worth visiting.
- Car Hire Belfast Airport
- Car Hire Belfast City Airport
- Car Hire Birmingham Airport
- Car Hire Blackpool Airport
- Car Hire Campbeltown Airport
- Car Hire Cardiff Airport
- Car Hire East Midlands Airport
- Car Hire Edinburgh Airport
- Car Hire Gatwick Airport North Terminal
- Car Hire Gatwick Airport South Terminal
- Car Hire Glasgow Airport
- Car Hire Glasgow Prestwick Airport
- Car Hire Heathrow Airport
- Car Hire Leeds Bradford Airport
- Car Hire Liverpool John Lennon Airport
- Car Hire London City Airport
- Car Hire London Gatwick Airport
- Car Hire London Heathrow Airport
- Car Hire Manchester Airport
- Car Hire Newcastle Airport
- Car Hire Sheffield City Airport
- Car Hire Southampton Airport
- Car Hire Stornoway Airport