Mary King's Close Tour, Edinburgh Deals
Tripindicator.com is comparing Mary King's Close Tour, Edinburgh prices from leading ticket suppliers, Try to find you the Cheap tickets prices.
|60 minutes||(642 reviews)|
|Opening Times||Best Times|
Highlights of Mary King's Close Tour, Edinburgh
- Located below the bustling and iconic Royal Mile in the heart of Edinburgh you'll find a hidden network of subterranean closes or lanes.
- Hidden from the world for almost 400 years, Mary King's Close was one of the busiest streets in 17century Edinburgh. On your visit you'll learn who lived there and why and how the streets were closed, covered, and forgotten about.
- There is a gift shop and cafe on site for those wishing to purchase mementoes and refreshments after the tour.
Is It Suitable for Me?
- A must-visit for those who love learning about history from an in-character guide.
- Suitable for the whole family although young kids may find the below-ground location scary.
- Not suitable for wheelchair users or those with mobility issues due to uneven surfaces, low-level lighting, and steps.
Your Experience With Mary King's Close Tour, Edinburgh?
- Spend some time in the pre-tour exhibition room to learn a little about the subterranean streets you're about to go down.
- Then, with your guide dressed up in costume and with your fellow group members you'll make your way down the 58 steps leaving modern Edinburgh behind as you enter the 17century streets that have been left stranded in time below ground.
- Walk the streets and see inside the houses of both the rich and the poor as your guide brings the past to life sharing the stories of the people who lived, worked and died her. Learn about the pneumonic and bubonic plague and how and why the lanes were closed, covered up, and forgotten about.
What Mary King's Close Tour, Edinburgh Includes?
- 1 hour guided tour of the Real Mary King's Close.
- Access to the pre-tour visitors centre.
- Guided tours in English or Spanish with audio guides in other languages available on request.
- Guide book included with some tours.
- Visitors Centre
- Mary King's Close β Rooms and Alleyways
- Non-slip shoes are required to navigate the uneven surfaces and steps.
- Many areas are dimly lit which can cause some people to experience disorientation and claustrophobia
- Visitors with asthma should bring medication and inhalers with them due to the enclosed underground environment.
Travelers Reviews about Mary King's Close Tour, Edinburgh?
- Travellers talking about this tour on Getyourguide, Viator, and Trip Advisor give it very good reviews for the most part.
- They say that it's a very informative and interesting tour for those who enjoy learning about history and well worth the money.
- People say that the 1 hour tour is just the right length of time to learn the history of this street
- A couple of negative reviews say that the acting is poor and forced and that there's no real view of the streets, these people were possibly expecting something more 'showbiz' as with with the Edinburgh Dungeons tour.
- From those that were happy with the tour we hear the following - βA fascinating, entertaining and informative tour into the history of Edinburgh. Really interesting and well presented.β, βI've taken taken several walking tours in Edinburgh by now, and this was one of the best. You will be looking at a preserved piece of medieval history, and they dress it up with a few exhibits along the way.β, βGreat tour. So much information and context, and you really get a feel for what it was like in that time period, in a way I didn't get anywhere else. β and βGood visual and sound effects excellent guide with a humorous approach to the story telling . An experience not to be missed when in Edinburgh.β
Not accessible to wheelchair users and not suitable for those with mobility issues due to uneven surfaces and 58 steps to climb up/down.
Paper tickets and e-tickets are accepted
Things to Consider Before You Go
- Audio guides for non-English speakers should be requested at time of booking.
- Customers who miss their timed entry will not be permitted to join another tour.
- Photography is not allowed.
- Pushchairs are not permitted.
Address / Pick up Location
The Real Mary King's Close, Royal Mile, Edinburgh
- Best Edinburgh Attractions, Tours Skip-line Tickets
- Best Edinburgh Hop on Hop Off Bus Tours
- Edinburgh Castle Tours
- Edinburgh Castle Skip The Line Ticket
- Skip-the-Line Edinburgh Castle Guided Tour
- Best Edinburgh Hop on Hop Off Bus Tours
- Edinburgh Dungeons Tickets
- Holyroodhouse Palace Tickets
- Edinburgh Ghost Bus Tour
- Edinburgh Underground Streets
- Edinburgh Day Trips
- Scotland Explorer Pass
- Edinburgh Attractions Map
- Free Things to do in Edinburgh
Loch Ness, Glencoe & the Highlands Tour from Edinburgh
Duration: 12 hours
Edinburgh Castle Skip The Line Ticket
Duration: Recommended 2-3 hours
Edinburgh Brewery Tour
Duration: 2 hours
Private Arrival Transfer from Edinburgh Airport to Edinburgh City
Duration: 45 minutes
Edinburgh Underground Vaults Streets Tour
Duration: 1 hour
Edinburgh Sky to Sea Bike Tour by Manual or E-Bike
Duration: 3 hours 50 minutes
Alnwick Castle, the Northumberland Coast & the Borders Day Tour from Edinburgh
Duration: 9 hours
Edinburgh Afternoon Tea Experience
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Private Edinburgh Departure Transfer - Hotel/Accommodation to Airport
Duration: 20 minutes
Hard Rock Cafe Edinburgh Including Meal
Duration: 1 day