Best Glasgow Prestwick Airport Car Hire Companies
RENTING A CAR IN GLASGOW PRESTWICK AIRPORT? – Read the things to consider before hiring a car in Prestwick Airport.
If you are planning a trip to Prestwick in Scotland, it is very important to consider some factors most especially first time travellers. Some of the questions that will run through your minds are; which car rental company to use when you arrive and if they are reliable. To make sure you enjoy your trip without any hassle, you need all the information you can get about the airport you will be landing in and the car hire companies at the airport. Which ones to use, which ones to steer clear from, how to move around in Prestwick to Glasgow in Scotland and so on. As a tourist or visitor, hiring and driving a car in Prestwick is easy but with strict rules that must be adhered to by individuals. We have compiled a list of companies that offer car hire services in Prestwick airport, with real customer feedback both good and bad reviews. We have also included links to customer reviews, road signs and rules, car rental age requirements, government policies, required documents to get before driving a car, toll gates and tolls, and many more.
Driving Directions to Glasgow Prestwick Airport
If you are coming from Glasgow then this journey will take around 45 minutes. Get onto the M8 via the ramp to Greenock/Kilmarnock/M77 and at Junction 22 exit onto the M77 towards Kilmarnock. Stay on here for 27 miles during which time the road will narrow to a dual-carriageway. At the roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the A78 heading to Troon and at the Monktonhead Roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the A79 heading to Troon. At this point the airport will become visible.
Glasgow Prestwick Airport Contact Details
If you?re calling from outside of the UK then you can call +441292511000. If you are calling from inside the UK then you can call 08712230700.
|Avis||0844 544 6025 and 03445446025||Prestwick Airport, Prestwick, KA9 2PJ.|
|Europcar||+44 (0371) 3843420||Unit 3, Boundary Road, KA8 9DJ, Ayr, United Kingdom|
|Arnold Clark Car & Van Rental, Ayr/Prestwick Airport||+44 1292 261631||146 Prestwick Rd, Ayr KA8 8NP|
|Enterprise Rent-A-Car - Ayr||01292 619123||7a Whitfield Drive HEATHFIELD IND EST Ayr, GB, KA8 9RX|
|5thGear Car Hire||+44 113 48 77 076||Terminal Bldg, Prestwick, Prestwick Airport KA9 2PL, UK|
Car collection desk at Prestwick airport
Prestwick airport is a single terminal airport, only Avis car rental services have a collection desk at the airport. The rest are located not too far from the airport. As a traveller, you can either book for a car on arrival at the airport or online which is a better option. Although the other car rental companies do not have their desks at the airport, you can still order for a car and it will be delivered to you based on your arrival time.
Best Car hire companies at Prestwick Airport
Although there are several car rental companies listed above, it is only Avis that is located at the airport. The other car rental companies are located outside the airport not too far. We have compiled a list of the best ones based on user reviews, for you to compare before hiring a car with them and our recommendations as well.
BUDGET CAR HIRE
According to reviews on https://www.rentalcars.com/en/airport/gb/pik/budget/, Pierre a budget car user, stated that their service was the best and most helpful. “The desk personal at Glasgow Prestwick Airport where the best and the most helpfull that i have ever met. i always try to use budget when i rent and i had good and bed experiance, the worst customer service was in Munich Germany and Nuremberg and the best was Prestwick airport.”
- An anonymous also stated that:
“I had made the car hire booking from the wrong airport ( Glasgow Int ) apparently a common mistake. Hassen on the desk was brilliant and sorted out another car for me And I was on the road in under 15 minutes.”
- Joseph also gave this company a good review saying:
“Car was fine and even the service.” In order to find yourself a great car rental company, you can make use of http://www.tripindicator.com/ to compare prices and deals from local and international car rental companies and get yourself the best deal for your trip through Glasgow Prestwick airport, or to Glasgow and around Scotland. COMPARE GLASGOW PRESTWICK AIRPORT CAR HIRE PRICES NOW >>
DON’T HIRE CAR FROM THESE:
You can hire cars from these companies at your own risk. I have compiled a list of 2 companies that rock the bottom of ratings for car rental companies in Prestwick from customer reviews.
Richard Haas, a level 1 contributor on: https://www.tripadvisor.com said and I quote: I will NOT rent a car with Europcar again. Here’s why: “After a recent trip to Scotland using Europcar, I received a fine from the Glasgow City Council for driving in a bus lane. I immediately went online and paid for the 30 pound fee. A week later I received an additional charge from the car rental company for 36.00 pounds administrative fee. Europcar charges me nearly $50.00 for providing my address to the Glasgow City Council. GANGSTERS! I will never use Europcar again!” Other reviews can be seen here: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g186216-i15-k6068988-o90-Europcar_never_again-United_Kingdom.html They also have a verified Facebook page with bad reviews from previous users. Check it out below: https://www.facebook.com/pg/EuropcarPrestwickAirport/reviews/?referrer=page_recommendations_see_all&ref=page_internal
Customers who have used this car rental company left user reviews on Google: This is the last time I ever use Avis. “They have gone downhill since they were bought from Budget. I took a car at Edinburgh airport to use for the weekend and to leave in Prestwick airport to make an early flight. Avis Edinburgh is understaffed. I was given the keys and let alone to find the car in the car park. When I found the car I also found an unreported damage on the door. I took a picture of it and walked back to the car rental office. I showed the picture of the damage and asked the Avis employee to come with me to the car. She refused and said she would add the damage to the contract. She obviously did not do that since I received a 500 Eur invoice from Avis for damage. Luckily I have an excess insurance for this sort of thing. Nevertheless I will ask the insurance company to treat this as a fraud and do my best to build a case against Avis and get a 'reward' to the Avis employee who caused the problem. I used Enterprise for years and never had problems of this kind. I wish they had an office in Prestwick.” There are more bad reviews here: Google Reviews
Document required for hiring a car at Prestwick Airport
There are certain documents required before you can hire and drive a car in Scotland. Meet these criteria and you are good to go.
- A valid driver’s license if you are from the EU
- A valid driver’s license for no-EU citizens (You can drive for up to 12 months)
- A valid passport
- Your driver’s license must be in English or at least has a translation.
Credit/Debit Card Requirements at Prestwick Airport
All the car hire companies accept credit cards while some make an exception for people with debit cards. But you have to abide by the following restrictions before you pick up a car at Prestwick airport.
- The name you provide must match the one on your credit/debit card and driving license.
- The payment machines at Prestwick airport car hire desks only accept Visa Debit or Maestro cards.
- The cards must have indented numbers on the back and embossed in front which is usually in silver and not in black colour.
You should always contact the company for inquiries about renting a car with either Credit or Debit Cards. You may be asked to give out card details while renting a car online. If you are using a Debit Card, you will be required to make a deposit of £300.00 (plus rental cost and additional charge). The amount will be immediately deducted from the cardholders account and held by the rental company before you pick up the car. Credit Card users will make a deposit of 300.00 GBP depending on the vehicle type, the deposit is not debited but held until the car is returned. All deposits are returned when the car is back in good condition. For more information visit: https://debitcardcarhire.com/prestwick-airport/NOTE: Make sure you have a driver’s license with photo ID, because some car hire companies may ask for it. Scotland does not require an International Drivers Permit (IDP)..
Driver Min and Max Age requirements to rent car at Prestwick Airport
Most car rental companies put the minimum hire age from 25 years and a maximum of 75 years with a doctors permit. If you are under the minimum age, you get to pay a surcharge. This also means you will be limited from booking Luxury cars, SUVs, Minivans and many more for drivers between 21-24. Additional drivers must be from 25 years old.
Road Rules & Law Tourists Should Know When Renting a Car in Prestwick
Once you find yourself in Prestwick for your holiday, tour or business, and you wish to drive yourself around the city. Keep the road rules and regulations in mind and act like a citizen would.
- In Scotland, you always drive on the left lane on the road, whether you are sightseeing, the countryside or taking a tour with family and friends. Just remember this when overtaking on a single lane.
- Speed limits in Scotland are signposted on a circular sign, with a red border and number in miles per hour.
- Speed limits are 70 mph (112 km/h) for Motorways and Dual carriageways, 30 mph (48 km/h) Built-up areas, 20 mph (32 km/h) residential areas and near schools, 60 mph (96 km/h) Outside built-up areas for cars and 50 mph (80 km/h) for minibuses, coaches, buses, and cars towing caravans or trailers.
- The legal drink drive limit in Scotland is 50 mg of alcohol in 100 ml of blood.
- It is an offence to use hand-held mobile devices while driving in Scotland.
- When entering a T intersection, the driver on the straight road has the road right. You must also remember to always defer to the driver on the right if you are entering an intersection, unless the driver is stopped by a STOP sign.
- Both the driver and passengers must wear seat-belts while driving in Scotland.
Few Road Signs
- NO STOPPING: Means you can’t stop or park a car here or even drop a passenger unless on medical emergencies.
- NO PARKING: You can’t leave car parked here, but you can drop-off and allow passengers in.
- NO STANDING: It also mean do not park here, since you cannot be standing upright and still be driving.
- BUS ZONE: Cars are not allowed. Only buses and taxis.
- LOADING AND UNLOADING ZONE. Trucks can load and offload goods here, but cars? What are you offloading and loading? Lol.
You can read more about the road usage rules in Scotland here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/know-your-traffic-signs
Tips to avoid car rental companies RIF-OFFS
As a tourist, holidays are for fun and not days to be ripped off but most people will end up getting ripped off by these car hire companies legally. There are a lot of things you need to know before you travel to avoid being swindled. Here are some tips to hold at heart so as to save yourself from paying lots of fees.
ALWAYS COMPARE CAR RENTAL EXCESS INSURANCE
This insurance policy is put in place to help tourists save money if they get involved in an accident with a hired car. Usually without this insurance policy in place, when a tourists damages a hired car, he/she is liable to pay the rental company to the tune of thousands. This insurance eliminates all excess fees to be paid in-case the hired car gets damaged. Usually this insurance may seem like a savior to many tourists, but in the real sense of it, it is a rip off. Usually this insurance is sold by the car rental company and it usually cost a lot of money and depending on how long the rent will cover, daily premiums will eventually sky rocket your initial hiring cost. So always try to compare the insurance before you go for a particular company.
To Avoid Rip Off, You Must:
- Always buy only standalone car insurance because it is way cheaper than those sold by the car rental companies.
- Make sure you have a travel insurance. It usually covers car hire damages.
BOOK IN ADVANCE
Make sure you don’t get caught by waiting until the day you arrive at your destination before you book your car, always book ahead online. It will save you lots of money and even time.
Some car rental company will pick you up at the airport and tell you to buy fuel because their car fuel is empty. As a tourist, this may seem odd but it can happen. Usually, you may be charged more for the fuel and also, you may end up not using up the fuel you have paid for. The way out is simple, rent car from companies that allow you to return the car with the amount of fuel in it when it was hired.
Whatever extras you will need on your tour, be it satellite navigation system, or baby sits and the likes, remember to pack it before you leave home. Paying for extras like this will cost more than buying them in some cases when you rent them from car hiring companies.
Tolls Gates and tolls fees in Prestwick
There are no tolls or toll fees in Scotland, so you need not worry about it while in Prestwick or other parts of the country.
Prestwick Airport Contact Details
You can call +44 871 223 0700 for general enquiries at Prestwick Airport or alternatively give feedback on their website at www.glasgowprestwick.com.
- Car Hire Belfast Airport
- Car Hire Belfast City Airport
- Car Hire Birmingham Airport
- Car Hire Blackpool Airport
- Car Hire Campbeltown Airport
- Car Hire Cardiff Airport
- Car Hire East Midlands Airport
- Car Hire Edinburgh Airport
- Car Hire Gatwick Airport North Terminal
- Car Hire Gatwick Airport South Terminal
- Car Hire Glasgow Airport
- Car Hire Glasgow Prestwick Airport
- Car Hire Heathrow Airport
- Car Hire Leeds Bradford Airport
- Car Hire Liverpool John Lennon Airport
- Car Hire London City Airport
- Car Hire London Gatwick Airport
- Car Hire London Heathrow Airport
- Car Hire Manchester Airport
- Car Hire Newcastle Airport
- Car Hire Sheffield City Airport
- Car Hire Southampton Airport
- Car Hire Stornoway Airport